Criminal - CLS Direct Legal Service - CLS

Criminal - CLS Direct Legal Service - CLS


Legal Advice can be available to ALL


Energy efficient UPVC windows, doors, conservatories & orangeries in Nottingham and Derbyshire by Glazedale.. Derbyshire UPVC Windows , Doors, Conservatories & Orangeries and double glazing Nottingham & Derbyshire

  • Joanne Kitson Fine Art - Equine Gallery.. click Here Joanne Kitson Fine Art - Equine Gallery

What is legal aid?

Legal aid helps with the costs of legal advice for people who can/'t afford it. If you need help with the costs of legal advice, you can apply for legal aid. Whether you will receive it will depend upon:

  • the type of legal problem you have;
  • your income (how much you earn) and how much capital (money, property, belongings) you have;
  • whether there is a reasonable chance of winning your case and whether it is worth the time and money needed to win.

Contact us below

How do I Choose a Solicitor?

In preference you should be guided by recommendations from friends and acquaintances. Estate Agents will recommend solicitors to you as well but the best recommendation is by someone who has already dealt with the solicitor concerned and was happy with the service they received. Far and away the greatest proportion of our clients are existing customers returning to us and clients who have been recommended to us.

Do I need to live near my Solicitor?

The simple answer is No. With the onset of e-conveyancing and with the advances of modern technology this is no longer necessary since most of the work can be conducted via the different medias, i.e post, telephone, fax and e-mail. However we also like to get to know our clients on a personal basis, indeed many of our clients have also become our friends. We therefore like to emphasis the fact that CLS are a local firm with a specialised knowledge of the area where our practice is located.

Need help with conveyancing - How long should the process take?

Despite claims by other sites, this is one of life's most difficult questions to answer honestly. A typical transaction with no chain could take as little as four weeks from start to finish; an average nowadays is around 8 weeks. However, there are those transactions where there may be problems in securing a suitable mortgage or legal imperfections to a title, such as problems with covenants in a lease or planning or building issues. However the biggest factor affecting the length of time a transaction will take is the "chain" of transactions, i.e. other peoples sales and purchases that are reliant on your move and visa versa. It really all comes down to how many links there are in your particular chain and the co-operation of all the parties involved in that chain.

What is the difference between a Valuation and a Survey?

When you arrange your mortgage you will invariably be asked what type of survey you want. A valuation is merely a surveyor taking a brief look at the property to see if it is worth the price which is being asked for it and more importantly that if need be it would realise the amount of money which your mortgage lender is providing. This is the most popular option usually because it is the cheapest but it is not the preferred option. A "Homebuyers" report will involve the surveyor taking a more thorough look at the property and anything that is apparent from inspection such as a fault in or lack of damp course, repairs to guttering and other structural matters will be covered. However, if the Surveyor cannot get access to a particular area, for example, the loft space or because of carpets, floor coverings etc he will not be able to advise you as to whether there is any rot in those areas. The last survey is a full structural survey and goes into much more detail about electrics, damp and other rot etc. However, this survey is not cheap as it involves a Surveyor in having to spend a considerable time at the property. Some people rely on a mixture of the valuation and perhaps the advice of a builder. As this purchase is probably one of the most expensive outlays in your life the decision must be yours as to which type of survey you choose to have. The best option is to contact a Surveyor and to ask exactly what he will provide in his report and to make a decision based on his advice.

What is an Environmental Search and do I need one?

An environmental search provides information as to whether the property is in a flood area, affected by radon gas and other natural perils; coal mining, quarrying and subsidence due to land instability Whilst these searches are not, at the present time, compulsory in view of the relative cheapness (about £30.00) they are certainly money well spent and we personally always advise clients to have one carried out. After all, you are not going to feel very pleased if the home of your dreams suddenly becomes a lake through bad weather conditions or has been built on a contaminated ex-industrial site.